Tracking Illegal Residency
CM201-U has always performed comprehensive residency verification checks. The current residency verification process coupled with well-trained staff has kept the number of potential scofflaws down in our district.
Each year, registrants must sign a document verifying that their residency information is true, and affirming their understanding that falsifying records to enroll a non-resident will result in a CLASS C MISDEMEANOR
. The form explains that all perpetrators will be sued for the current school year’s cost of tuition or 110% of the tuition charge per (105ILCS 5/10.12b).
District 201-U conducts random residency checks throughout the year.
A variety of methods have been employed to monitor and track illegal residency. The district has utilized the following: private investigation agencies, village inspection departments, property managers (apartment complexes) returned mail, student attendance/tardy patterns etc.
The residency verification/monitoring process is on-going. The process begins at registration and continues throughout the school year.
Steps involved in the verification/monitoring process are as follows:
HOW YOU CAN HELP: SEND US AN ANONYMOUS TIP
- At the point of contact during summer, annual and walk-in registration, all required documents are thoroughly scrutinized.
- Documents that are suspect due to illegibility, tampered with or otherwise insufficient are not accepted.
- Each fall, all returned mail that is received at the building-level is sent to the registrar’s office expeditiously for logging and tracking purposes.
- All returned mail is entered into an excel spreadsheet for tracking.
- The registrar begins the process of attempting to locate the parent/guardian of the returned mail in order to verify residency.
District 201-U has created an anonymous tip link
on our district website where you can report suspected residency fraud. Your information will be kept confidential as submissions are sent directly to the District Registrar.